Friday, May 13, 2005

Slate: Movie Names & Amphetamines

Oh, Slate, you read my mind, you answer my questions before I ask them, you entertain and educate me...if only you were a woman.

I was going to blog about Will Ferrell's new film "Kicking & Screaming" having the same name as a 1995 film, but Slate beat me to it. (Wow! Look how many films Will has in the pipeline!) Have any of you ever seen the earlier film? One IMDb user gushes "BEST MOVIE EVER". Don't do that.

The 1995 version uses "And" in the title instead of an ampersand. (The "&" symbol comes from combining "e" and "t", from the Latin word for "and", "et". The name comes from the phrase "and, per se and", meaning "And, by itself, means 'and'".)

I was also going to mention a quote from another one of those English films, "The Runaway Bus" (74 minutes of Frankie Howerd contorting his face). (There's also a knockout blonde played by Belinda Lee.) A stewardess (Petula Clark) is asked to work another shift. "Give me a benzedrine and leave me to it," she replies.

So that got me wondering about the popularity of amphetamines and when they became illegal. Well, Slate has a piece on amphetamines used to treat ADHD, and very informative it is too. The writer tried Adderall for a week.

Inevitable Simpsons reference: when Bart is diagnosed with ADD, he is given a new drug called Focusyn. Now that's a clever drug name.

No comments: