Sunday, May 08, 2005

Ornithology: Mockingbirds

I have a new family living beside me, a family of Mockingbirds. State bird of Texas, Robb tells me. Four other states, too. This account by Audubon says:
"So well does the bird know that man is not his most dangerous enemy, that instead of retiring from him, they at length fix their abode in his vicinity, perhaps in the nearest tree to his window."

That's still the case. The nest is in the juniper outside my kitchen window (although I can't see it). One of the parents lands on my garage roof with a berry in its beak, swoops down to the window sill, checks to see if it's being followed, then hops into the shrub. A moment later, it flies up to my neighbour's roof and looks around again before flying off to find the next treat.

I was really enjoying this close-up look at nature until the young ones started talking. They emit an asthmatic chirp every five seconds or so. Oh well. They'll grow up soon enough, and then I'll miss the little beggars.

No comments: