Friday, May 20, 2005

Germans: They Love Miss Marple

I notice that I got a few hits lately from people searching for "miss marple theme" - one from Germany and one from Austria. This backs up my comment about Miss Marple's popularity in Germany. The Miss Marple DVD box set has an Amazon.de sales rank of 665. You can download a Miss Marple ringtone ("Ausgewältes Fun Item" in the top right). There is a "crime film book store" in Berlin called Miss Marple Krimibuchhandlung, with this quote from Raymond Chandler (Translated by Babelfish):
One shows me a man or a woman, whom detective stories cannot stand, then wants I you a fool to show, an intelligent perhaps - however nontheless a fool.

Detective stories can stand me, so I a fool am not. I like the new Miss Marples with Geraldine McEwan now showing on PBS. She has a nice twinkle. I found Joan Hickson to be too severe.

The Guardian did a hatchet job on Agatha Christie back in 1990.

No comments: