Sunday, March 12, 2006

Questions: Some Answers


  • Why do Fast Food joints have "limited time only" offerings of certain items, like Whataburger's delicious Honey Barbecue Chicken Strip Sandwich? (The McRib is probably a better example, but I've never eaten one.) Are they a "loss leader" to get people in the habit of coming to your restaurant?
  • Does it hurt to ask? No.
  • Is there a gayer song than Pete Shelley's "Homosapien"? (Sample lyrics: "Homo superior, in my interior.") Probably not.
  • What are the mathematics of "Deal Or No Deal"? (Play online.) Wikipedia discusses the Optimal Strategy - it really boils down to an individual's aversion to risk. I'm not sure I agree with the statement: "The expected winning at any point in the game is the mean of the values contained in the unopened boxes". But I have no knowledge of statistics to back me up on that.

No comments: