Thursday, January 11, 2007

Music: Self-References

What singers have sung their own names in a song? (Let's not include rappers.)

  • My name is Prince and I am funky. (Prince, obv.)
  • No, my first name ain't "baby" - it's Janet. Miss Jackson, if you're nasty. (Miss Jackson)
  • Where the only water flowing is the bitter Sting of tears. (Sting)
  • Because of a few songs wherein I spoke of their mystery, women have been exceptionally kind to my old age. They make a secret place in their busy lives and they take me there. They become naked in their different ways, and they say, "Look at me, Leonard. Look at me one last time." Then they bend over the bed and cover me up, like a baby that is shivering. (Leonard Cohen)
  • Talking to myself, causing great concern for my health. Where is your head, Kathryn? (Kathryn Dawn Lang aka k.d. lang)

No comments: