Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Music: First Records

What was the first record you ever bought? I can't remember the first one I actually went out and bought. I remember getting "The Muppet Show" album as a Christmas present (and having to exchange the cassette because, due to a manufacturing flaw, it was recorded backwards).

My sister's first record was "The Hucklebuck", as covered by Brendan Bowyer and the Royal Showband (don't ask me to explain what a 'showband' is). You have to love any song that rhymes "back" with "sacroiliac". (The "sacroiliac" is a joint in the pelvis.)

There's a complete history of the song at WFMU - very interesting story, involving Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Paul Williams (no, not that one), Frank Sinatra, Chubby Checker, Jackie Gleason, Canned Heat, Clifton Chenier, The Fall, and The Jerky Boys - and they even mention the Royal Showband.

No comments: