Saturday, January 29, 2005

Movie Review: "The Aviator"

Saw "The Aviator" tonight. I'll give it 7/10. Perhaps the highest praise I can give it is that I overcame my intense hatred of Leonardo DiCaprio. Some quibbles and observations:

  • I love John C. Reilly but I can't take his Fozzy Bear voice seriously.
  • Too many flashbulbs exploding in slow-motion, the sound amplified to malevolent extremes.
  • Katharine Hepburn, born in Connecticut, is played by Cate Blanchett, born in Melbourne, Australia. Ava Gardner, born in North Carolina, is played by Kate Beckinsale, born in London, England. Couldn't they find American actresses for these roles?
  • At least Errol Flynn, played by Jude Law, grew up in England.
  • What was with the weird colours? When Hughes and Hepburn play golf, the grass is blue.
  • Bonus: Tavis Smiley interview with Alan Alda - transcriptions that contain "Ha ha ha!" make the laugher seem like an idiot, don't they?

No comments: